A. B. Duvall, p. 1214
A. B. DUVALL The Duvall family, of which this gentleman is a prominent
representative, has for many years been closely associated with the
progress and improvement of Washington county.
Alexander and Elizabeth Duvall were natives of Maryland, born of
They came to Pennsylvania many years ago, and located in Washington
county, where he lived several years, and then settled on a farm in
Fayette county, near Brownsville, where he died at the age of eighty
-five years. Of their children are named John, David, Jacob, Lewis,
Eli, Jehu, Hiram and Elizabeth, all now deceased.
David Duvall was born April 7, 1785, in East Pike Run township, Washington
Co., Penn., and passed his youth on the home farm. He began life
with no financial aid, but willing hands, an active brain, and stout
body proved sufficient capital, and he soon acquired a comfortable
property, all in agricultural pursuits. When a young man he was united
in marriage with Mary Bailey, who was born in 1782, in East Pike
Run township, and they reared the following family of children: Nancy,
widow of S. Robison, now residing in California, Washington Co.,
Penn.; Eliza, wife of John B. Hanen, of East Pike Run township; Ruth,
widow of George Garrett, a resident of California, Washington
county; Mary; Alexander B.; John; Lewis; Abigail, and Sarah, of whom
the four last mentioned are now deceased. The father in his political
affiliations voted with the Republican party. He died August 24, 1865,
having been preceded by his wife in 1862.
Alexander B. Duvall, son of David and Mary (Bailey) Duvall, was born
March 19, 1825, in East Pike Run township, Washington Co., Penn.
He received a subscription-school education, and grew to manhood
on the home farm, working the old place on shares until the death
of his father. In 1870 he was united in marriage with Josephine Pester,
who was born in Washington county, Penn., a daughter of Moses and
Elizabeth (Smith) Pester, also natives of this county. Her father
was a cabinet maker at Coal Centre, Penn., and in politics voted
with the Democratic party. He and his wife died in Coal Centre, leaving
two children, Ann and Josephine (Mrs. Duvall). To the union of Alexander
B. and Josephine (Pester) Duvall the following children have been
born: Emma, David R., Nellie S., Carolus, Anna Thames, Chauncy Slocum,
John Shanton, Flora G., Belva L., Pierre L., Alexander V., Cassius
A., and Jessie.
The old homestead contains 210 acres of well-cultivated land, and
is universally admitted to be one of the finest farms in Washington
county. In 1875 Mr. Duvall erected a handsome two-story house upon
the property, commanding a beautiful landscape view for many miles,
carrying the eye to the mountain beyond. Since 1852 he has been a member
of the F. & A. M. at Coal Centre. He is a fearless, conscientious
man, and worships at the Disciple Church, his wife being identified
with the Methodist Episcopal denomination.
George W. Duvall, p. 1226
GEORGE W. DUVALL is a grandson of Lewis and Hannah Duvall, who were
pioneer settlers of Washington county, Penn., and died on the home farm.
John Duvall, father of subject, was born and reared on the home place
in Washington county, and always followed agricultural pursuits,
giving considerable attention to stock raising. He voted with the
Republican party. He was first married to Mary Yarty, who bore him
seven children, viz.: George W., Hannah, Amanda (wife of William
Hornbake, of West Pike Run township), Ellen (married to Frank Bake, a
carpenter, of Allenport, this county), Elizabeth, Lewis, and John L.
(a farmer of Fayette county, Penn.). The mother died in 1869, and Mr.
Duvall was then married to Elizabeth Lash, whose children were Tory
(deceased), Robert, Isaac (both of whom are living in Charleroi,
Washington county), William (a painter of Charleroi), and Frank (a farmer,
of Fayette county, Penn.). The father died October 3, 1884, and
April 27, 1885 the wife and mother passed away. She was a member
of the M. E. Church.
George W. Duvall, son of John and Mary Duvall, was born January 5, 1853,
in West Pike Run township, Washington Co., Penn., and was educated
in the district schools.
On February 22, 1877, he married Miss Maggie Marker, who was born
September 8, 1854, in Washington county, Penn., a daughter of Lewis
and Eliza (Williams) Marker, natives of this county, whose children
were as follows: John, a resident of West Brownsville, Penn.; William,
living in East Pike Run township; James, living in West Brownsville;
Charles, also of West Brownsville; Maggie, wife of George W. Duvall,
and Mary, deceased. The father followed farming all his life, and in
politics voted with the Democratic party. He died August 31, 1891,
his wife having passed away in 1862. They were members of the M. E.
Church. George W. and Maggie (Marker) Duvall have two sons: Charles
W., born September 16, 1880, and John L., born August 23, 1883.
Mr. Duvall owns the old homestead of eighty-four acres, where his
grandfather first located many years ago. In politics he is a Republican,
and he has served as school director for the past three years.
James M. Duvall, p. 1357
JAMES M. DUVALL was born November 24, 1839, in East Pike Run township,
Washington Co., Penn. He is a grandson of Jacob and Jane (Patterson)
Duvall, who were natives of Maryland and descended from Irish ancestry.
They came to Washington county, Penn., many years ago, where the
following children were born to them: Mary, widow of Moses Billingsley,
of California, Penn.; Harriet, widow of Robert Duvall, of Illinois;
Samantha, wife of Lewis J. Weaver, a farmer of East Pike Run township;
Jefferson, a resident of East Pike Run township, and eight others
who are now deceased. The parents died in East Pike Run township.
Alexander Duvall was born in 1810, on the home farm in East Pike Run
township, Washington Co., Penn., and passed his youth under the
parental roof. He was married to Jemima Hannon, who was born in 1809,
and they were the parents of seven children, namely: Henry, a farmer
of Fayette county, Penn.; Jacob, an agriculturist of Allen township,
Washington county; James M., of whom a sketch follows; Jefferson,
a farmer of East Pike Run township; Isabella, wife of Jacob Crow,
now of Madison county, Iowa; Mary M., wife of Isaac W. Richards,
and Julia, married to William H. Jackman, a farmer of East Pike Run
township. The father of this family died in 1884, and in 1887 the mother
passed away. They were members of the M. E. Church.
James M. Duvall was reared and educated on the home place, and on April
10, 1865, was united in marriage with Martha A. Crow, who was born
in 1846, in Allen township, this county, daughter of Azariah and
Sarah A. (Murphy) Crow, both natives of Washington county, Penn.,
where the father has followed farming. Mr. and Mrs. Crow have had six
children, namely: Jacob, John, Martha A. (wife of James M. Duvall),
Jane (married to Theodore Jackman), Benjamin, and one deceased in
infancy. The father of this family is now farming in Howell county,
Missouri. To the union of James M. and Martha (Crow) Duvall have
been born two children, viz.:
Alva J. and Minnie M., wife of Eli Harmal, a farmer of East Pike Run
township. James M. Duvall is a very progressive, energetic citizen,
and is an active member of the Republican party. He has served three
terms as township assessor, two as constable, and has been school
director for about fourteen years. Socially he is a member of the
American Master Mechanics, Lodge No. 371, at Coal Centre, Penn.
The home place, a well-improved farm, is situated two miles northwest
of Coal Centre.
Jefferson P. Duvall, p. 488
JEFFERSON P. DUVALL. The Duvall family, of which
the subject of these lines is a well-known member,
has for many years been closely associated with
the progress and improvement of Washington county.
Alexander and Elizabeth Duvall were natives of
Maryland, descended from French ancestors.
They came to America many years ago and located
on a farm in Washington county, Penn., where
Alexander died at the age of eighty-five years.
Of his children are named John, David, Jacob,
Lewis, Eli, Jehu, Hiram and Elizabeth, all now
Jacob Duvall was born February 17, 1789, on the
old home farm in Washington county, Penn., where
he grew to manhood. In 1810 he was married to
Jane Patterson, who was born January 29, 1797,
and their children were Mary (wife of Moses
Billingsley), Harriet (married to Robert Duvall,
a resident of Appanoose county, Iowa), Samantha
(wife of Lewis J. Weaver, a farmer of East Pike
Run township), Jefferson P. (the subject of this
sketch), Alexander, Harrison, Emily, Jane, Thomas,
Ruth and two unnamed. Of this family are yet
living Mary, Harriet, Samantha and Jefferson P.
The father was a prominent agriculturist, and died
in 1864, the mother having passed away ten years prior
to his demise.
Jefferson P. Duvall was born April 10, 1830, in East Pike Run township,
Washington Co., Penn., and remained on the old place during his
youth, securing a common-school education. In early life he learned
and followed the trade of millwright, and then ran a gristmill near
Coal Centre for several years. On July 27, 1851, he was united in
marriage with Sarah Robison, who was born November 9, 1830, in West
Pike Run township, Washington Co., Penn., a daughter of Hiram Robison,
who was born August 19, 1804, and when a young man was married to Sarah
Zook, who was born June 22, 1803. They were the parents of twelve
children, viz.: Thomas, Tyre, Sarah (Mrs. Duvall), Salem, Isaiah,
Hannah (wife of Mark Eagye), John, John (deceased), Eliza (deceased),
and three who died in infancy. The father, who was a farmer, died
September 23, 1890; the mother was laid to rest November 24, 1882;
both were members of the M. E. Church, and in politics he was a
Democrat. To the union of Jefferson P. and Sarah (Robison) Duvall
the following children have been born: Thomas; Jane, wife of Allen J.
White; Melissa, wife of John B. Carson; Jacob; Hiram; Ellsworth,
and Harrison and Jefferson (twins). Mr. Duvall owns a good farm
of one hundred acres, with good improvements thereon, and the place
among the old settlers is known as the old Bedall homestead. Mr.
Duvall owns 186 acres in another tract in East Pike Run township.
In politics he is a Republican, and has served as school director.
He is a charter member of the F. & A. M. Lodge, No. 461, Coal Centre,
and holds the office of junior warden; his first membership in the
Fraternity was in 1862 at Brownsville, Penn. He and his wife are
members of the M. E. Church.
Louis Duvall, p. 502
LOUIS DUVALL, one of the most substantial farmers of Hopewell township,
was the youngest son of Louis, who was a son of Alexander and Abigail
Duvall. Alexander Duvall came from France to America at an early day,
and first located east of the mountains, afterward removing to Fayette
county, Penn., near the Monongahela river, where the remainder of his
days were passed.
Louis Duvall received a common-school education, and after his marriage,
to Hannah McAdams, removed to Still Water, Ohio, then almost an unbroken
wilderness. They were in constant dread of the Indians, and when
her husband was obliged to leave home to go to mill the wife would
hide herself and children until his return. Mr. Duvall contracted
malaria while in Ohio, and returned to Washington county to regain his
health. No house being ready for them on their return, they lived for
a time in a barn, which was remodeled and fitted up for the purpose.
But though living to a goodly age, Mr. Duvall never regained his health,
and upon the devoted wife and mother fell the heavy weight of providing
and caring for the needs of the family. She often found it necessary
to take her infant to the field, leaving it in a corner of the fence
while she hoed corn. By their united efforts, in spite of the husband's
poor health, they were successful and accumulated considerable property.
Of the nine children born to them, only three are now living, viz.: Hannah
(widow of Elias Garrett, of West Bethlehem township), Abigail (wife
of Jacob Deems, now residing in West Pike Run township, this county)
and Louis. Mary, Eliza, Jane, Maria, Isabel and John are deceased.
The father and mother were members of the Society of Friends, being
regular attendants at the services, though the meeting house was five
Louis Duvall was born in 1830, in East Pike Run township, this county,
and was reared on the home farm. Owing to the feeble health of his father
the bulk of the farm work fell upon the boys as soon as they were old
enough to be of use. In the summer time he could not attend school,
and through the winter, school lasted but three months. All farm
work was done by hand in those days. Grain was cut with sickles
or cradles, as there were no threshing machine; it was then beaten
out with flails or trampled out with horses, being afterward cleaned
in a fanning-mill. The winter season was the time for doing such
work, and as the process was long and tedious, the opportunities
for getting an education were very limited. The schools of that time
were very primitive affairs compared with those of today, and speaking
of them Mr. Duvall said: "I wonder that we got any education. If the
children of today could see with what difficulties we had to contend,
they would better appreciate the advantages of the present school
system. The school-house I attended was as good as the times afforded.
It was built of hewn logs, and had windows of four small panes each. The
seats were slabs, into which wooden pegs were driven for legs. There were
no backs or desks. Around the sides of the room holes were bored into
which long wooden pins were driven. On these pins boards were fastened,
forming a writing desk. The ceiling was low and liberally festooned with
cobwebs. No maps or charts were used to help the youngsters with their
lessons. Into a room of this kind fifty or sixty pupils were crowded.
The teachers were men of muscle as well as brains, and believed
in the efficacy of the rod." Mr. Duvall attended school whenever
possible until he was sixteen or eighteen years of age, then turned
his attention entirely to farming, working his father's place.
In 1853 he was married to Mary Deems, a native of Clarksville, Greene Co.,
Penn., daughter of John and Mary (Reynolds) Deems, the former being a
native of Washington county, and the latter born in Fayette county,
Penn. To Mr. and Mrs. Duvall have been born eleven children, as follows:
John R., Hannah M., Annie M., San Jacinto, William L., Mary Olive,
Ulysses G. and Schuyler C. (twins), Lurilla (deceased), W. Claud and
Dot Dell. They continued to reside in East Pike Run township until 1879,
when Mr. Duvall purchased a farm of 163 acres in Hopewell township,
where he has been engaged in farming and wool growing, being ably assisted
by his sons, none of whom are married. Two of the daughters are married:
Hannah (to John Barnes, residing in Claysville, this county) and San
Jacinto (married to Albert Rush, living in Hopewell township, this county).
Mr. Duvall has endeavored to give each of his children as good an education
as possible. His twin sons are attending college at Ada, Ohio. In politics
he is a Republican, and in religion he and his wife are members of
Buffalo Presbyterian Church.
John B. Carson, p. 1448
JOHN B. CARSON. The Carson family have for many years been prominently
associated with the leading citizens of Washington county. Thomas
Carson was born in eastern Pennsylvania, and coming to Washington
county many years ago, was married to Mary Gibson, a native of Kentucky.
They settled on the farm in Fallowfield township, which is yet owned by
their descendants, and he also followed shoemaking, also serving
many years as justice of the peace. At one time he was pursued by the
Indians, and traveled seventy-five miles in one day, carrying his rifle,
and thus escaped. He died in 1848, leaving the following children:
Elizabeth (wife of James Young), Thomas G., Mary (Mrs. Grable),
James S., John B., Ann (Mrs. Grable) and Charlotte (wife of John
John B. Carson was born in 1802, on the old place on Pigeon creek,
in Fallowfield township, Washington county, where he grew to manhood
and received a district-school education. When a young man he was married
to Sarah Scott, who was born in 1813, in Fallowfield township. The young
couple first settled on a farm on Pigeon creek, and in 1846 moved to
the homestead of 140 acres where their children are yet living.
Mr. Carson voted with the Democratic party, serving in various offices,
and in religion Mrs. Carson was a member of the Baptist Church.
He died January 27, 1872, and September 17, 1887, his wife was laid beside
him. Their children were born as follows: Newton (who was a real-estate
dealer and founder of West Belle Vernon, deceased December 24, 1888),
Mary (wife of Jackson Carson, of Fallowfield township), Smith (a farmer,
living on Pigeon creek), Lewis (living in West Pike Run township),
John B. (residing in Allen township), Jerome G., and Sarah J. (deceased).
John B. Carson, son of John B. and Sarah (Scott) Carson, was born in
1848, in Fallowfield township, Washington county. He attended the schools
of the county, afterward went to the Southwestern State Normal School at
California, and afterward taught five terms near the home neighborhood.
In 1874 he was united in marriage with Melissa Duvall, a native of
East Pike Run township, this county, a daughter of J. P. and Sarah (Robison)
Duvall, the father born in East Bethlehem township, and the mother a
native of Washington county; both parents are now living in East Pike
Run township. After his marriage John B. Carson located on the 130 acres
in Fallowfield township, where he is now living. In 1874 he erected a
good house, and in 1881 built a new barn. He is a prosperous farmer;
in politics he votes the Democratic ticket. Mr. and Mrs. Carson are
members of the Zion Disciple church, in which he serves as an elder. They
are the parents of six children, namely: Bertha L., Val C., Sarah Mabel,
John Parker, Viola Isabelle and Jefferson P.
Jackson and Alexander S. Carson, p. 395
CARSON, JACKSON and ALEXANDER S. The Carson family have for many years
been prominently identified with the leading citizens of Washington
county, and a record of the ancestry of the gentlemen, whose names
introduce this sketch, will be found at page 1268 in this volume.
Thomas G. Carson was born, about the year 1792, on the home farm in
Fallowfield township, Washington county, and received his education in
the county schools. In early life he married Elizabeth Scott, a daughter
of Parker and Sarah (Carson) Scott, natives of the county, and who lived
on a farm in Fallowfield township. They had a family of one son and twelve
daughters, one of whom, Lucy Ann, is yet living, near West Belle
Vernon, the wife of John Sphar. The children born to Thomas G. Carson
were Thomas, Parker, Lucy Ann, Charlotte, Sarah, Washington, Jackson, John
and Alexander S. Thomas G. Carson was an ardent Democrat, and in religious
faith he and his wife were members of the Baptist Church. They passed
their lives on the old place where Mrs. Carson died in 1858. Mr. Carson
was then married to Esther McIlvaine, a native of Somerset township,
this county. He died in 1880, having passed his eighty-fourth year.
The following children were born to his first marriage: Thomas
(who died near Rushville, Ind.), Charlotte, wife of Joseph Rider (in
Fallowfield township), Parker; Washington; Jackson; John, in East Pike
Run township; Lucy Ann; Sarah (unmarried) and Alexander S.
JACKSON CARSON was born April 3, 1827, on the old homestead in Fallowfield
township, Washington Co., Penn., and received a subscription
-school education. On October 3, 1852, he was united in marriage
with Mary, daughter of John B. and Sarah (Scott) Carson, special
mention of whom will be found at page 1268. After his marriage
Mr. Carson settled on the 140 acres in Fallowfield township which
is now his home, running in debt for same; he also owns 139 1/2 acres
in East Pike Run township. He has made many improvements on both farms,
and has erected fine residences and three barns on his land. This fine
property is the fruit of patient toil and ceaseless industry. He takes
some interest in politics, voting with the Democratic party, and has
filled many township offices. Three sons have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Carson, namely: William Henry, deceased at the age of twelve
years; Isaac Newton, married and living in East Pike Run township,
and John Wesley, a widower, living at home.
ALEXANDER S. CARSON was born May 10, 1838, on the homestead in Fallowfield
township, where he now resides, and was educated in the schools
of his district. In December, 1871, he was married to Annette, daughter of
Henry and Emily (Duvall) Hanan, all three being natives of East Pike
Run township, this county, where the marriage took place. Her father died
in 1868, and her mother in February, 1892. Mr. and Mrs. Carson began wedded
life on the farm of 130 (now 206) acres in Fallowfield township,
where she died in November, 1880, leaving one son, Walter. In 1882 Mr.
Carson married Elizabeth Myers, a native of Somerset township, this county,
daughter of John and Mary (Ross) Myers, who were born in Germany,
and about the year 1854 came to America, locating in Washington
county, where both died. To this union four children have been born, namely:
Jesse, Frederick Ross, Harry Fell, and Elmer Clarence. Mr. Carson's farm
is well conducted, and on it, in addition to general agriculture,
he raises a fine grade of Short-horn Jersey cattle. Politically
he votes with the Democratic party, and he has held local offices; Mrs.
Carson is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Pigeon Creek.
George R. Deems, p. 1188
GEORGE R. DEEMS, a successful farmer of West Pike Run township,
is a native of the same, born October 3, 1841, on the old homestead.
The father, John Deems, was also a native of the county, and here learned
the carpenter and wagon-making trades. When a young man he was married to
Mary Reynolds, a native of Fayette county, Penn., who bore him nine children,
namely: Mary, wife of Lewis Duvall, a farmer of Hopewell township,
Washington Co., Penn.; Martha, widow of Nickson Ailes, a resident
of California, Penn.; Sarah J., widow of S. W. Rogers, of Beallsville,
Penn.; George R., whose name opens this sketch; Margaret E., wife of
Robert Elwood, a resident of Beallsville; Cornelia, married to John D.
Springle, a boat builder of Brownsville, Penn.; Frank, living in Ottumwa,
Iowa; Elizabeth and Jacob R., both deceased. The father died soon after
the birth of his youngest child; his widow is now living, at the age of
seventy-seven years, with her daughter, Mrs. Rogers, in the village of
George R. Deems was reared in the West Pike run township, where he
received a common-school education, and when seventeen years old learned
the cabinet-maker's trade. In 1861 he enlisted in Company I, Eighth
P. V. I., and participated in the Seven Days' Fight, the second
battle of Bull Run, Fredericksburg, the Wilderness, and numerous
other engagements. He served until the close of the war, then returning
to Washington county followed his trade about five years in West Brownsville.
On November 25, 1869, he was united in marriage with Emma E. Rogers,
who was born December 12, 1846, in Washington county, Penn., a daughter
of Samuel and Sarah F. (Crawford) Rogers, natives of Maryland, and the
parents of children, as follows: Priscilla, wife of Adah Crouch, a
farmer of West Pike Run township; Joseph H, a farmer of Beallsville,
Washington county; Sarah F., married to Smith F. Scott; Emma E.,
wife of George Deems; Mary A., deceased; and four who died in infancy.
The father of this family was a public- spirited citizen, and a successful
agriculturist. He died in 1890 having been preceded to the grave by
his wife in 1882. Both were members of the M. E. Church, and in politics
he was a Republican.
After their marriage George R. and Emma E. (Rogers) Deems located on
the pleasant farm in West Pike Run township which is now their home. It
contains seventy-three acres of valuable, well cultivated land, to
which Mr. Deems devotes the greater portion of his time. He is identified
with the Republican party in politics, and is deeply interested
in all public matters. Mr. and Mrs. Deems are members of the Beallsville
M. E. Church.