NOTE: Use with caution, some of this research may be in error!
ENOCH Henry, Israel and Abraham Enoch were in Wayne Township, Montgomery County, prior to 1810, where Abraham married Nancy Meigh, or HEIGH, 13- Nov.1813. The earliest record of this family is found in the records of Old Gloria Die (old Swede's) Church, where Enoch Enochs and wife Susannah were members and their children were named as Gabriel Enoch born Feb. 1695, and Andrew. The Montgomery County settlers probably came from Hampshire Co., Va., where Henry Enoch, an early settler of Frederick County, finally located. He received, 22-Apr.1753, a grant for 388 acres (Washington's survey). The Maryland Archives (Vol. 31, pp. 247-253) show that in 1756 Henry Enoch, Sr., and Henry Enoch, Jr., were sued by Col. Thomas Cresap over this same plantation. In 1761 he received, by grant, 271 acres on Little Cacapon, in Hampshire Co.; in 1763, 278 acres on Great Cacapon; and in 1764, 57 acres, known as "Enoch's Hollow." Hennings Statutes, Vol. 7, p. 18, show that in 1756 a chain of forts was to begin with Henry Enoch's place on Great Cacapon in Hampshire County. Henry Enoch died between 1782-4; his wife was Elizabeth and they had sons, Henry, David, Enoch and Col. John. Prior to 1790 Henry, Danid and Enoch settled in Washington Co., Pa., where they were prominent in the orginazition of the Ten Mile Babtist Church, said to be the first church of any kind in the county. The first meeting was held at the home of Enoch, 1-Dec.1773. On 4-Feb. 1774, they met at the home of David Enoch. He was one of the representa- tives of this church at the Red Stone Association held 7-Oct.1776. About 1781 the Rev. John Corbly, formerly a neighbor of the Enoch family in Hampshire County, became pastor of this church. Henry Enoch, Jr., was Captain of the Monongahela Militia during the Revolution; his wife was Sarah; in 1765 he owned 308 acres on Little Cacapon. David Enoch had a son David, Jr., born prior to 1776, who had fourteen children; he also had a daughter, Rachel, who married Joseph Arvacost. Enoch Enoch, in 1753, had 168 acres in Frederick Co. at the neck of the Patomac; his wife was Rebecca. 20-Aug.1778, Isaac Cox, David Enoch and Henry Enoch were recommended as fit persons to be added to the Commission of Peace of Youghiogheny County. The Cox family was connected by marriage. Col. Isaac married Mary Enoch. They had no issue; his brother Gabriel married Sarah Enoch, daughter of Capt. Henry. REFERENCES: -- Hennings Statutes, Vol. 7, p. 12. Pa. Mag. Gen. and Hist. Vol. 2, p. 228. Maryland Archives, Vol. 31, pp 247-53. Virginia Land Records, Richmond. Tyler's Quarterly, Vol. 4, p. 443. History of Washington Co., Pa. p. 659. Hampshire County Records (L.S. Jones) 9-Aug.1762, Enoch, Henry Sr. of Hampshire County and wife, Elizabeth, 271 acres on Little Capacon to George Untis. 14-Feb.1765, Same 100 acres on Gt. Cape-copon; wit. Henry Jr. and John Corbly. 10-May.1779, Same, 154 acres on Gt. Cape-Copon to Enoch Enoch. 8-Mar.1785, Same, Jr. and wife Sarah of Washington Co. to John Minhur. 11-Jan.1789, Same, Jr. and wife Sarah of Washington Co. to John Bumfield.
----------------------8-Apr.1767, Cox, Gabriel and wife Eleanor to Enoch Innis (Enoch) 162 acres on North Branch. 10-Mar.1779, Cox, Gabiel of Yochogany County and wife Sarah, to Archibald McDonald of Hampshire County, 168 acres in Hampshire County. 14-Mar.1775, Cox, Isaac and wife Mary to Archibald McDonald, land on South Branch. 12-Oct.1773, Cox, Friend, (bor. of Isaac?) of Hampshire Co. and wife Susanna, to Isaac Hites. ----------------------------History of Washinton Co., Pa. (Crumrine) "Enoch Enoch emigrated from England to America (came from Hampshire Co., Va.) and settled on the North Branch of the North Fork Delight, located about one half mile from Lone Pine Village. He built a fort on this land as a defense against the Indians. Henry Enoch settled at Clarkeville." [Clarkesville?]