Quoted from Vol. 2, pp 436-437. Hennen's Choice, by Dorothy T. Hennen. The book can possibly be purchased at the Eva K. Bolby Library, in Waynesburg, Pa.
The Fonner family is of German ancestry and it would appear that the members of this family in which we are interested lived for some time in New Jersey, then removed to Northumberland County, Pa. About 1804 two Fonner brothers brought their families across the Allegheny Mountains from near Sunbury (Northumberland Co.) and took up residence in Greene County, Pa. These brothers were likely Henry and William Fonner; the latter settled in Morgan (now Washingotn) township near the Lone Oak Church. In 1805 William Fonner and wife, Catharine, sold their land on Ruff's Creek (having obtained it from George Huffman 6-2-1804) to Jacob Johns; both William and Catharine signed this deed. About 1820 William Fonner purchased a tract of land in Morris Township, from Luke Walpole, and removed his family there.
The census for Greene County in 1810 shows Henry Fonner in Morris Township where both he and his wife were over 45 years of age; in their household were three males 16-26 years of age, a male 10-16 years of age and a female under 10 years of age. This family does not appear again in Greene County census records. This same census shows William Fonner in Morgan Township and both he and his wife were over 45 years of age; their household included a male and a female 16-26 years of age, two males 10-16 years of age and a female under 10 years of age. We are able to follow through with this family of William Fonner in later census records.
William Fonner and wife, Sarah, conveyed a protion of their land on the Bates Fork branch of Tenmile Creek (having been obtained from Luke Walpole 8-1-1820) to Isaac Oaks 10-23-1826. The same year William Fonner and wife, Sarah, conveyed another portion of land to James Fonner; on these latter deeds William signed his name while Sarah made her mark. In the census of 1820 the neighbors of William Fonner were Silas Clark, John Hair, Isaac Oaks and Amos Dyal. Not far distant was Henry Fonner in his own household.
William Fonner, parentage unknown, born before 1765; died Morris Twp., Greene Co., Pa. after 1826; married (1) Catharine ____, before 1765; died Greene Co., Pa. 1805-10; (2) Sarah ____, further data not determined. Burial palces unknown.
William and Catharine Fonner resided in Morgan Township, Greene County, Pa.; William and Sarah resided in Morris Township, same county. William Fonner was a farmer. This name is also spelled Fawner in some records found.
Probable children of William and Catharine Fonner:
1. Henry Fonner married Abigail Taylor
2. James Fonner married Elizabeth Loughman
3. Christena Fonner married David Loughman
4. Ryaneer Fonner married Margaret ____
5. John Fonner married ____ Conger
1. Henry Fonner, probable son of Willaim and Catharine Fonner, born Pa., about 1788; died in Richhill Township, Greene Co., Pa., 9-27-1851; married Abigail Taylor, of George and Margaret (Wolverton) Taylor, born Washington Co., Pa. 5-30-1792; died Richhill Twp., Greene Co., Pa. 6-25-1849. Both are buried in the Fonner Cemetery, near Bristoria, Pa.
Children of Henry & Abigail (Taylor) Fonner:
Children of James & Elizabeth Fonner:
1. Lucinda Fonner m. Richard Iams .
2. Christena Fonner m. Samuel Moninger.
3. Eva Fonner m.(1) ____ Hedge (2) John McCullough.
4. William Fonner m. Jane _____
5. Frederick Fonner m. Eleanor Penn.
6. James Fonner Jr. m. Eliza Taylor.
Children of James & Eliza Fonner:
1. Licinda Jane Fonner b. 11-4-1854
m. George W. Durbin
2. Elizabeth Fonner b. 1857
m. James Adams
3. Thomas Fonner b. 1859
m. Phoebe Huffman
4. Albert Elsworth Fonner b. 1862/1-18-1863
5. Randolph Fonner 1864
7. Philip Fonner m. Letitia _____.
8. Elizabeth Fonner m. Samuel McCarrel.
9. Jane Fonner never married.
3. Christena Fonner, daughter of William and Catharine Fonner, born Pa. 3-7-1800;
died Morris Twp., Greene Co., Pa. 11-4-1864; married David Loughman, of
Frederick and Catherine Loughman, born Pa. 7-16-1796; died Morris Twp., Greene
Co., Pa. 12-31-1870. Both are buried in the West Union Cemetery, at West Union,
Pa. pp.433-435 above mentioned book.
Children of David & Christena Loughman
1. William Loughman 10-22-1820/3-5-1903
m1. Mary Jane Day (d/o William) 3-28-1822/
m2. Mrs. Elizabeth Conger (wid/o Harrison)
(d/o John & Mary (Miller) Longdon 7-12-1828/
2-4-1916. All three bur. C.P.Church Cem.,
at West Union, Pa. He was a farmer.
Children of William & Mary Jane Loughman
1. Lucetta Loughman m. Jacob Ely.
2. Elmas Loughman m. Mary Jane Lewis
3. Irvin Loughman never married.
4. Hannah Loughman m. John Conger.
5. Alice Loughman m. John T. Auld
6. John Gipson Loughman m. Dora Belle Dunn.
2. Frederick K. Loughman b. 6-26-1822/8-13/1890
m. Emeline M. Meek (d/o Elisha & Jerusha (Cary)
Meek) b. 1-1-1831/4-17-1910 Both bur. C.P.
Church Cem. at West Union, Pa.
1. Maria Loughman m. Hamilton Dunn.
2. Caroline Loughman m. John B. Carter.
3. William Allison Loughman m. Ella Day.
4. David Smith Loughman m. Olive Conger.
3. Francis Loughman 1824/3-16-1846 (aged 22 yr)
m. Elizabeth Hunt Both bur. C.P. Church cem.
West Union, Pa.
1. Silas Loughman m. Minerva Jane Walker.
2. Louisa Maud Loughman n, George Acklin.
3. Francis Loughman.
4. Maria Loughman 9-20-1825/12-6-1897 m. 10-7-
1847, m. John Ross, (s/o Thomas & Hannah
(Denny) Ross) 11-3-1820/6-26-1895. Both bur.
Bethlehem Baptist Church Cem. at Ruff's
Creek, Pa., where they resided. He was a
1. Hannah Ross m1. Thomas B. Jones
m2. John Kendall.
2. David Ross m. Hannah Patton.
3. Mary J. Ross m. John McCracken.
4. Lydia Ross m. John Kelly.
5. Timothy Ross m. Emma Gregory.
6. Christena Ross m. Albert Smith.
7. Isabell Ross m. William Bennett.
5. Electa Loughman 3-30-1838/3-10/1911
m. Joseph Thompson 11-7-1822/4-25-1865. Both
bur. C.P.Church Cem., West Union, Pa.
1. Francis Thompson m. Lucinda Moninger.
2. Mary Thompson.
3. Maria Samantha Thompson m. Benjamin F. Miller.
4. Daniel Milton Thompson m. Ellen Jane Moninger.
5. Joseph Bentley Thompson.
6. Mary Loughman 1830-1897,
m. John Jennings, Jr. (s/o John & Jane)
1. Adaline Jennings.
2. George Jennings.
3. Samuel Jennings.
7. Silas Ayers Loughman b. Morris Twp. Greene Co
Pa. 9-11-1834 d. 6-19-1908 m. 12-27-1856
m. Anna Millikin (d/o David & Lydia (Rodgers)
4. Ryaneer Fonner, probably son of William and Catharine Fonner, born Pa. 1790-1800;
died Richhill Twp., Greene Co., Pa 1835-40; married Margaret _____, born Pa.
1800; died after 1870. Burial places undetermined.
1. Ross Loughman m. Arabella Hughes.
2. Mary Jane "Jennie" Loughman m. William Lindsay
Shape (the grandparents of M. James Hennen
3. Lyda Ann Loughman m. Albert Conger.
4. Maud Loughman m. Robert L. Summersgill.
5. Timothy R. Loughman m. Laura Minton.
6. Leroy Woods Loughman, died young.
7. Fanny Gertrude Loughman m. David H. Jenkins.
Ryaneer and Margaret resided in Richhill Twp., Greene Co., Pa. where he was a farmer.
Children of Ryaneer & Margaret Fonner:
1. Matthias Fonner
2. Charles Fonner married Mary ____
3. Jackson Fonner
4. Elizabeth Fonner married Jesse Nuzum.
5. Mary Fonner married Jefferson Billick.
6. Lindsay Fonner
7. Rebecca Fonner married Isaac Cross.
5. John Fonner lived in Morris Township around 1830; further records have not
Children of John Fonner:
1. Mary Fonner
2. William Fonner
3. Experience Fonner