Illustrious Pioneer Hay Clan Ancestry
Illustrious Pioneer Hay Clan Ancestry
(Compiled by Charlotte Hay Beard, Eber Cockley and Edward R. Hay.)
(Found in Laurel Messenger, p3, February, 1960)
In 1453 Kind James II of Scotland knighted William Hay fopr heroic service in defense of the realm, with the title, Earl of Errol. His residence was located in the Carse of Gowrie, now Errol Park, north shore Firth of Tay. Beginning at this point, his lands were defined to extend "as far as the raven can fly without a rest stop." These records preserved by lineage descendants. Encyclopedia Brittanica lists several Earls of Errol by name, Francis Hay succeeded his father, Albert, in 1585 as ninth Earl of Errol. The Presbyterian church records list the Earl of Errol converted to protestantism (ca.) 1600. In 1602 the Earl of Errol was appointed High Commissioner of Scotland in negiotiations for the union of England and Scotland. After 46 hectic years as Earl during which tides of fortune rose and fell, over and over again, Francis Hay died in 1631; buried at Slain church. He was wounded in action during an invasion by fanatical warrior bands from Europe. Slain Castle, his residence, was destroyed by the invaders, His eldest son, William Hay, succeeded him as thenth Earl of Errol. Soon thereafter a jurisdictional dispute of long standing was settled, where by the Earl of Errol was recognized as Lord High Constable of Scotland, ranking next to the King in authority.
Growing pains incident to the birth and growth of protestantism in the seventeenth century forced John Hay and family, direct descendants of William, to flee from Scotland to Alsace, a German territory. Here at Zwei Brucken on the Rhine, the five Hay brothers were born who later came to America.
(John) Adam Hay settled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in 1751. His great grandson John Hay became American Ambassador to London and Secretary of State at Washington. (See Life of John Hay, by Clara S. Hay; Harper Brothers, 1908).
(John) John Hay, born 1733 in Alsace, settled in York County, Pennsylvania, in 1751; was naturalized April 11, 1706; became Lt. Col. In Washington's Army in the War for American Independence. He was Magistrate; County Commissioner 1772-1775; Delegate to Continental Congress 1776; Member State Legislature 1779-1783-1784; his plantation now known as Hay Addition, City of Your, Pa. John Hay married (2d) Juliana Maul; issue four sons, five daughters. Col. George Hay (1776-1832), second son of John and Juliana Maul Hay married Seaba Fahnestock (1775-1800). Dr. Michael Hay, born March 31, 1795, son of George and Seaba Fahnestock Hay, married May 11, 1823, Margaret Worley; moved to Johnstown, Pa., in 2836. (See History of Cambria County, page 39).
(John) Valentine Hay, from Rotterdam on Ship "Sally landed Philadelphia October 5, 1767, accompanied by his brothers Francis and Simon. He settled in Brothersvalley, later moving with his family to Kentucky. Reformed Church records, Berlin, Pa., list birth Elizabeth Gertrude September 8, 1777; baptism October 9, 1777; also birth Anna Maria October 10, 1780; daughters of Valentine and his wife Elizabeth Hay (HOH).
(John) Simon Hay (1742-1842) first stopped in Conococheague settlement; married Anna Maria Shaver; issue five sons, and five daughers. Settled 1779 in Brothersvalley, at location of Hay's Mill which he later built. Reformed Church record, Berlin, Pa., lists birth Valentine June 26, 1779, first child of Simon and wife Anna Maria Hay born here. Two elder sons, Michael born in 1775; Jacob born 1777, at Conococheague. Simon and brother Valentine are on 1779 tax list located in Brothersvalley Township.
(John) Francis Hay (ca. 1740-1826) is first found on 1771 tax list single free-man in Brothersvalley; married 1773 Gertrude Groff; issue three sons, four daughters; grandfather of Associate Judge Samuel Snyder, Somerset; and great uncle of John Hay who was assistant secretary to President Lincoln, Ambassador to England and Secretary of State in cabinet of Presidents McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. Served on first and succeeding official boards of Berlin Reformed Church; laid out western portion town of Berlin, Pa.
Somerset County Link Page